Singer-songwriter SAMMI NICKS, a beautiful chocolate toned woman, remembers being a young girl and feeling slightly inferior to her light-skinned friends. Growing up in the Bronx it was common to walk everywhere. You walked to church, to school, to the corner store, and to the train station. Usually you walked with friends. But almost always you’d have to pass by men.
SAMMI remembers being a young impressionable girl and walking down the street with her light skinned friends and feeling invisible. “It’s almost as if black men were conditioned to see beauty based on what complexion you were– and often times it was the lighter the better.” Then there were those moments in college when she was told that she looked “pretty for a dark skinned girl.”
In her single, “Chocolate Girl” — releasing 08/11 — SAMMI sings about dark-skinned women walking in their confidence and demanding that the world sees their beauty. At first listen, the song seems like an upbeat, catchy pop tune. But upon further listening, “Chocolate Girl” pushes out a three and a half minute rallying cry for all the Chocolate Girls out there to be confident in their skin. “Chocolate Girl” may be exactly the kind of summer song our community needs right now to help heal the damage that centuries of colorism has dealt. In her song, SAMMI NICKS celebrates being a woman who is confident about her dark skin– and she wants other women, no matter what their complexion, to feel the same.
To celebrate the release of the her newest single we had the opportunity to ask SAMMI our reader favorite 15 questions and learn more about her:
- http://riseabovesocial.com/?__hstc=37463295.4e3a56a4c773f89949c75cda0bb2ae15.1485907200063.1485907200064.1485907200065.1 where can i buy propecia online What is your favorite word? YES
- What is your favorite color? PINK
- What is your favorite city? LOS ANGELES
- What is your favorite season? SPRING
- What is your astrological sign? CAPRICORN
- Who has been the most positive influence on your life? MY MOM
- What trait do you find most attractive in other people? ACTION
- What is something most people don’t know about you (Hobby, Favorite TV Series you never miss or Film you have seen many times or Secret Talent)? I WATCH THE CLEVELAND SHOW EVERY NIGHT BEFORE I GO TO BED.
- What inspires you creatively? PAIN
- What is your favorite swear word? YIKES
- What sound do you love? THE SOUND OF THE TRAIN COMING
- What is your favorite food? JAMAICAN
- What is your favorite beverage? SPARKLING LEMON WATER
- What was career plan B? DON’T HAVE ONE
- What do you want to hear the Angels say when you arrive? JOB WELL DONE.
To pre-order SAMMI’S single: https://itunes.apple.com/album/id1417637891?ls=1&app=itunes
*Images courtesy of Bridge and Tunnel Communications and Sammi Nicks