It is Hollywood’s biggest night of the year and this year #Oscar turns 90. The #Oscars are as American as Apple Pie and something that should bring our country together. In the past few years @TheAcademy #Oscars has struggled in the ratings. Hopefully this year there is increase in viewership but after much conversation with key viewers in the target 18-54 demographics, I’ve complied a list of 12 reasons @TheAcademy #Oscars might have low ratings again.
- ABC has two of the funniest actors and most gifted comedians working on TV today Anthony Anderson and Traci Ellis Ross on their network (Black*ish), but does not have them hosting? Seriously, it is no brainer, these two are LOL hilarious on a weekly basis and have fantastic chemistry. Their opening number singing and dancing would be spectacular.
- Why aren’t NFL stars and legends Tom Brady and Russell Wilson presenting Best Actress? Since last years Best Actor Casey Affleck isn’t presenting, why not have some cross promotion and two NFL superstars present the highly anticipated Best Actress award? It would certainly attract viewers and appeal to advertisers.
- Why aren’t Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio presenting Best Picture to mark the 20th Anniversary of the most viewed Oscars ever, where their classic film “The Titanic” swept the awards. They are also two of the biggest film stars in the world.
- A simple Thank You will suffice- see the Merritt Weaver Rule (2013 Primetime Emmy Winner Best Supporting Actress Comedy Series “Nurse Jackie”). Host Neil Patrick Harris said at the time “Merritt Weaver Best Emmy Speech Ever.”
- Gary Oldman does not give the Best Performance by an Actor in Leading Role in “The Darkest Hour” (John Lithgow did Churchill better in “The Crown”, last year on Netflix.)
- Daniel Kaluuya “Get Out” who actually has given the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role isn’t poised to win.
- Not a single Latino Actor or Actress are nominated again. In the year of #TimesUp #MeToo this is a shining example #Hypocrisy that repels viewers.
- Jimmy Kimmel failed to deliver ratings as the host last year and having him back proves @TheAcademy and the Producers are out of touch with TV audiences and the public. Kimmel’s comedy doesn’t appeal to a broad audience.
- The Oscars should rotate networks like the Primetime Emmys to keep things equitable and it would refreshing to see CBS, NBC, and Fox all have a chance to participate in Hollywood’s big night.
- 30 years ago tonight was one of strongest and toughest Best Actress races in #Oscar @TheAcademy history. Why aren’t the five women nominated Cher, Glenn Close, Holly Hunter, Sally Kirkland and Meryl Streep presenting Best Actor?
- “Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion” just celebrated its 20th anniversary. The film is a modern classic with fans around the world yet stars Mira Sorvino, Lisa Kudrow are not presenting?
- Americans don’t want to be told how to live or given lessons in morality, historically as a nation “we the people” tell other countries how they should live. There is a fine line and delicate balance that needs to kept in order to get and keep viewers tuned in.
The 90th Annual Academy Awards air live at 5:00pm PST (8:00pm EST) on ABC with live Red Carpet coverage beginning at 3:00pm PST (6:00PM EST).