Make room at the table because the Alnwicks are joining you for Christmas Dinner! Issue #2 of the hit graphic novel series, Daylight Sucks developed by telenovela star Katie Barberi (Dona Barbara; Eva la trailera, actor Craig Hurley, and producer Mauricio Toro released on Christmas Day. To celebrate the release of issue #2 Daylight Sucks we had the opportunity to learn more about co-creator and actress Katie Barberi, who took time out of her busy schedule to answer our reader’s favorite 15 questions below.
But, first here is a recap of what we learned in issue #1, Daylight Sucks follows the adventures of the Alnwicks family – a group of vigilante vampires dedicated to seeking justice for various social issues, including: animal rights, environmental protections, bullying, and LGBT issues, among others. While the Alnwicks deliver judgement, vengeance and violence in Daylight Sucks, there is also the star-crossed, seemingly impossible, bilingual love story of Esperanza Martínez. Her quest for a better life north of the Mexican border and to find the father she has never known leads her to the unexpected. Will her world collide with that of the Alnwicks?
In Issue #2, as our young heroine, beautiful, brave undocumented immigrant Esperanza Martinez (visually inspired by the stunning Alexa Pomales) continues her quest for a better life north of the Mexican border, we discover that back in her native Mexico City, she leaves behind a sad mother named Estela (visually inspired by the lovely, talented Maite Embil). We also meet one of the Alnwick clan members, whose presence in Esperanza’s life may be vital to her survival.
Safe to assume that there will plenty to talk about over dinner — just remember that the Alnwicks prefer their steaks “extra rare.”
The new issue is available at www.daylightsucks.com — get your issue after reading Katie’s Q&A:
1. What is your favorite word? “Esperanza”. She is the lead character in our comic book “Daylight Sucks”. She is a beautiful, brave, undocumented immigrant. Her name means “hope” in English and that’s why we call her “Esperanza”. Without hope, we have nothing, and she represents that in our story.
2. What is your favorite color? It used to be pink, but now that I’m a cartoon Vampire I’m a little more into “blood red”.
3. What is your favorite city? New York, baby!! Greatest city in the world as far as I’m concerned. I’m a theater rat so going and just doing a week of Broadway shows back to back is my idea of the perfect vacation. The people, the vibe, the architecture, the art- it’s just the best!
4. What is your favorite season? Winter! Love Thanksgiving! Love Christmas! And my birthday is in January. Also, I find snow to be the most beautiful natural phenomenon that exists. A winter scene is like no other.
5. What is your astrological sign? Aquarius- and I am a true Aquarian! I am an artist, I’m great with numbers, I love people, and I’m also the kind of person that walks in a room, stands in the middle of it, and realizes I forgot why I walked in there to begin with.
6. Who has been the most positive influence on your life? I have many positive influences. I believe everybody that comes into our life has something positive to impart; that everyone we come in contact with has something to teach us. My mother taught me to believe in myself. My father taught me to love life. And since my fiance Craig Hurley turned me into a hot cartoon Vampire for “Daylight Sucks” I’d have to say, Craig is added to that list.
7. What trait do you find most attractive in other people? Honesty, generosity and objectivity. Don’t lie to me, don’t be stingy with me, and don’t come to conclusions about me.
8. What is something most people don’t know about you (Hobby, Favorite TV Series you never miss or Film you have seen many times or Secret Talent)? I am a forever obsessed “Sex and the City” fan. I secretly categorize any woman I meet into a “Carrie”, “Samantha”, “Miranda” or “Charlotte” almost on site. I’ll group you into a combination thereof if need be! My secret talent? I am apparently a comic book producer now! Who knew? Also, I’m a lyric Soprano and can rock an E Flat above High C, no problem. Craig has a condo in the mountains in Colorado, and they say that my operatic ability might come in handy if I ever come in contact with a grizzly bear.
9. What inspires you creatively? I am inspired by the ability to express myself in any form I am given the privilege of doing so in. I love to play a role. I love to sing a song and and dance a dance. I love to write a poem or an essay on a subject that moves me. I love to express my feelings about justice, kindness and women’s empowerment through our comic book. And I am tremendously inspired by other’s art. My list of favorite actors, singers, dancers, writers and visual artists is massive, grows every day, and includes artists from all over the world.
10. What is your favorite swear word? Chingada! It is a swear word in Spanish that can mean a person, place or thing, and can be bad or good! A lot of room for expression there! Feels great, chingao!
11. What sound do you love? The sound of horse’s hooves on cobble stones, and the sound of my maltese Sugar lapping up water.
12. What is your favorite food? Sushi, pizza, chocolate cake and chilaquiles.
13. What is your favorite beverage? Beer with clamato. In Spanish it’s called “Barba Roja”.
14. What was career plan B? Didn’t have one. I knew I was going to be an actress from the time I was five years old. I did not, however, know I was going to get into the comic book business! What I’m going to say is probably controversial, but in my opinion, if you’re an artist, you shouldn’t have a “plan B”. Keep going. You’ll get there.
15. What would you like to hear the Angels say when you arrive at home on the other side? I’d like to hear them say: “Nice job. Come on in. Your puppies are waiting for you. Oh, and by the way, Vivien Leigh, Shirley Temple, and Gene Kelly are here and would love to meet you.
*All images courtesy of Katie Barberi and Bridge & Tunnel Communications.